Friday, June 17, 2011

meet anna epp



Your Name: Anna Epp
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

How would you describe your style of photography? I think my style is best described as photojournalistic. I like to tell a story with my photographs, whether it is a wedding or a family there is always a story to tell and I make it my mission to capture that story for my clients.




What first drew you in to photography? As a young girl we didn't have a lot of photographs, my parents didn't have a lot of extra money and photos were just something that was an extra. My Grandmother, however, had a box of old photographs and photo albums of my eldest sister and I. Whenever we would visit Grandma, my sister and I would rifle through the box and look at all the pictures. I knew at a very young age I wanted to be a photographer. I bought my first camera with my own money I earned working for my Dad at the age of 12 and my first SLR at age 18. I haven't looked back since.

Do you work out of your home or a studio? I currently work out of my home and am mostly an on-location shooter. However, I do have a small studio in my home for headshot shoots.



Tell us about your business before the Savvy workshop? I had been in business for a year and a half and just slowly moving along. I had been hired for a few weddings and a small amount of family shoots, but all in all I was missing a little bit of confidence to grow my business.

How has it changed since returning? Since returning from Savvy my business has tripled! I absorbed so much at the workshop, both in information and confirmation. I felt like I could connect with all the women in the room and that has helped me and my business grow.


What do you think is the most important thing you learned from the Savvy workshop? The most important thing that I learned was that I did know what I was doing. I was making all the right choices, I just lacked confidence to pursue it a little more. Going to the Savvy Workshop boosted my confidence and gave me the courage to set my goals higher.

What was your favorite part? My favorite part of the workshop was the breakout sessions where we got to watch our mentors in action with a shoot.Watching them work and explain how they were doing things really struck my creative side. And if I get to add a second favorite part that would be meeting so many wonderful women with common goals.

Fun facts we want to know about you:

Favorite Savvy indulgence~Oooh, Savvy indulgence.. barnwood flooring.  I love, love, love my barnwood flooring.
Favorite place to shop~ As much as I try not to go there (kidding), my favorite place to shop is Vistek.ca. Vistek is a Canadian Photography Store, whether I shop online or in the store in Ottawa, I never walk away without something wonderful to use. And I love that I can rent a lens or equipment on the spot if I need it.

Favorite vacation spot~ Our favorite place to vacation is Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. My father has been going to Delaware since he was fifteen, so it is like going home every summer for a little beach time to carry us through our long, cold winters up here.

Favorite blogs to visit~ Savvy Photographer, Design Aglow, Secret Agent Josephine. All of the blogs I visit, I do for inspiration.

Favorite subject to photograph~ My children. I know it is so cliché, but I truly love to photograph my children. They are so great at being models for me I get to practice on them and capture all their fun and playful sides.


Favorite products you sell to your clients~ Families, Maternity & Newborn: Any print larger than an 8x10. I love to sell my clients a lovely large print of their family or children so they can see how gorgeous they are. For weddings I love albums. Selecting the images to go into the album and presenting the couple with the story of their day.

Favorite thing about being a photographer~ Capturing beauty all around me.

Describe your perfect day~ My perfect day would start out with a good cup of coffee or two, a stroll along the beach with my family. From there I would head out for a photo session, then back to spend the afternoon with my family preferably at the beach, a good BBQ for dinner then some work time for me. Yes, that would be my perfect day.

Blog: www.annaeppphotography.com/blog







Thank you Anna!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Marsha! Both for your wonderful workshop and the interview, Savvy has been a huge part of my life for the last couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sentiments, gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing about your work and inspiration Anna.

    ReplyDelete