Friday, December 10, 2010

Thank you for joining us on the Savvy blog!


We love the new site! Will you tell us a little about Deluxe Modern?


Thank you! It’s taken me 2 years to find the time to do it,but it’s finally up, and I’m so flippin’ happy!


Well, Deluxemodern, in a nutshell, is just me. I’m the designer, the bookkeeper, the marketing person and customer service. The last 5 years have been kind of a whirlwind, really. I started Deluxemodern, had a baby, got married (in that order), opened a restaurant, all the while getting busier and busier with design work. I had a gorgeous office space that I shared with some amazing and talented people, but found it much easier to work from home in my pajamas. Saves so much time in the “getting ready” department. I never in a million years thought I would be this busy, and I’m so grateful.


How long have you been designing?


I know it sounds incredibly cliche, but really, as long as I can remember. I fell in love with typography as soon as I could read, and was obsessed with my father’s graphic design and advertising magazines at 12 years old. He didn’t have a mac... he did everything by hand. (He was a designer obviously). Every job I’ve ever had, I’ve managed to add on-staff designer to my title.


Are you professionally trained or self taught?


Totally self-taught. I failed computer class in high school....


Where do you find your inspiration for your designs?


My clients. Part of my design process is a questionnaire that I have each new client fill out. The more I get to know someone - what they like, what they don’t like, rooms they live in etc. the more inspired I become to create something for them. The internet is fabulous, but of course I never meet most of my clients - so I have to be intuitive through the computer. About a year ago, I had a client who kept telling me what she wanted, but we kept getting it all wrong. I finally had her send me photos of her home, work space, family, pets -and instantly I knew what we were doing did not fit with her at all. Even she could see that what she was asking for did not suit her. We moved ahead a whole new plan , and she loves her identity, so I try to do that with most of my clients now.


If you weren't a designer, what would you be?


I have no choice but to do something creative, or I think I would explode. I love to see change and make things happen. Before I did this, I was an event planner-biut on the side and I would have lots of fun jobs decorating wineries, homes, and businesses. I loved it. I’ve also designed the interiors of several restaurants, including the restaurant I own with my husband Patrick..you can see it here: www.restaurantp30.com


I bet you have the best Christmas cards of all your friends...have you finished your cards yet?


No way. Last year they got out JUST in time, with a photo of my kids taken on my iphone. This year I’ll be lucky to send an Christmas email! But, I’ll do a quick mock-up of what my holiday card WOULD look like, if I had one.


What's on your Christmas list?


I have a thing for cocktail rings, design books and fancy bedding. Fun stuff...nothing too serious. I have to pick the serious stuff for myself....my family says I’m hard to buy for...I beg to differ.


I've read about your cool looking office chair...we'd love to see it!


It’s an Ikea chair I bought a couple of years ago...it’s white (a must) and modern, but seriously not good to sit in for too long, which I do, and am right now. It’s cutting of my circulation, but it looks good.


Dear Miss Modern {your design shop} has fabulous pre-made logos...the designs are wonderful!


How does it work once a design is purchased?


It’s quick and snappy insta-branding! You fall in love with a logo, purchase it in the shop- Then it’s modified with your company name and colors. A proof is sent to you same day. Once you give the thumbs up, you’ll have your new logo in the blink of an eye.


Your designs are classic and elegant with a touch of modern...we love your talent and thank you for sharing with us!


Thank you so much. I’m thrilled that I can help people expand their businesses, and actually increase clients and sales because of their branding. It will never get old for me. Early next year I will introduce wedding invitation suites and marketing template sets, along with birth announcements, more logos and business cards templates in the shop. I’m quite excited, and hope to share lots more with The Savvy Photographer in the future!


P.S. .... I’m a facebook junkie. Please follow Deluxemodern for all the latest & greatest! www.facebook.com/deluxemodern

No comments:

Post a Comment