Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Meet and greet Shannon Sewell



When you think of colorful props, creative sets and lots of imagination, what comes to mind?  The answer should be Shannon Sewell!  Shannon has a unique way of making her photo shoots look like scenes from a child’s imagination.  From mad hatter tea parties to airplane rides and hot air balloons to enchanting forests, Shannon can make any child’s dreams come true through her photo shoots.

So the next time you are cruising the internet and want to get lost in a dream world of beautiful images and creativity, be sure to check out Shannon’s blog.  It is sure to leave you inspired!



To learn a little more about Shannon and what she does, check out the interview below…

Tell me about you...where are you from? 
Hi :) I am from the oh so beautiful Pacific NW

Are you married? 
Yep- 15 yrs & counting


Children?  Ages? 
I’ve got a charming little 11 yr old boy and a sweet little 8 yr old girl

How did you get into photography? 
Typical mom starts taking a ridiculous amount of pictures of her kids type love story 




How long have you been a photographer? 
i went official 6 yrs ago


How would you describe your photography style? 
Fun, imaginative, a little of this and a lot of that :)


What inspires you as a photographer? 
First and foremost- my kids.  Kids have unlimited inspiration and i feed off of it constantly.  Plus this world is pretty darn amazing... can't imagine not being inspired just walking thru daily life.


What is your favorite thing about being a photographer?
 That I never have to work!  I absolutely love what I do and get lost in it every day.


What is the proudest moment you have had as a photographer? 
Hmm... I don't know!  I can't think of a moment that it made me feel proud.  I've felt blessed & inspired & lucky... that can come from something as simple as a note in my inbox or as big as seeing one of my photographs in print.  It's all pretty great :)






What do you think makes your business so successful? 
I think the moment I decided that I was going to do what made me happy & felt right... if you are happy in what you are doing no other 'successes' or outside accomplishment (or defeats) really matter. My success is in doing something that I love :)


What has been your best marketing idea? 
I'm supposed to market??  ;)





When you first started, were there any workshops or books that were particularly helpful to you?
 Jesh de Rox's workshop was one of the most amazing & moving photography experiences I've ever had.  I highly recommended it. 


Your backdrops are so creative, where do you find inspiration for them? 
Everywhere! Movies, things that catch my eye out and about, clothes, models hobbies/interests... I have been known to use pretty much anything as a backdrop ;)




How do you create them? Do you make everything yourself?
 I make everything myself.  I use a lot of paper and a lot of fabric.  I have a cute little 8 yr old assistant that will help me on the fun crafty projects. 


Do you have your own studio space?  Tell us about it. 
I use a studio share.  There are about 5 of us that share a space.  It is a big natural light space with lots of different walls & looks and is perfect for escaping our lovely NW rain :)




How often do you make new sets/backdrops? 
It probably averages about one a week. 


What is in your camera bag? 
Today there is a canon 5d, a canon 5dmkii, a 85 1.2, a 35 1.4, some cf cards, a finger puppet, suckers & a noise maker. 




What is your favorite savvy indulgence? Sneaking off to the bookstore with the kids- coffee, cookies & lotsa books & magazines :)


If you weren't a photographer, what would you be? Interior designer


Interview by Leslie Kerrigan


Thank you Shannon for the interview!


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Love her work, great feature! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I love browsing through Shannon's work. Really enjoyed reading through this interview :)

    ReplyDelete